Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Ribbon of My Own and Yummy Cancer Research

Today, I was visited by the branch manager for the temp agency we use at work, and she brought me chocolate cookies with pink M&Ms in them. She said they were the “breast cancer awareness” cookies. I silently lamented the fact that I don’t have one of those sexy, glamorous cancers that get all the publicity. Why don’t I get a cutesy pink ribbon or a 2-day walk? What about us poor schmucks with liver cancer? Actually, if you want to be absolutely correct, I have “primary cancer of the liver”. Liver cancer is associated with other diseases of the liver.

But I digress…

So I look online for ribbons and their colors, and I find “The Jade Ribbon Campaign” in the fight against hepatitis B and liver cancer. Cool! Jade is a cool color! Then I check out the link, and it’s specifically a program through Stanford for Asian Americans who are apparently prone to getting this. There is actually an organization called the “Asian Liver Center” who is using the Jade Ribbon as their symbol. Jeez! Can’t I get a break here??

http://liver.stanford.edu/

So I come home and tell my sad story to Danny, who of course tells me I’m crazy (although he laughs). I tell him I worry about the color my ribbon might have. An icky brown color like the liver? No, Danny says, it should be a beautiful deep red color, since the liver serves as a filter for the blood. So I thought of a wine color. And red wine is supposed to be good for the liver! (in moderation, of course) I also thought of a color in the brown family, like tan or copper. I imagined organizing a fundraising walk for liver cancer, where we would serve paté at the rest stops. Or perhaps fava beans and a nice Chianti. (hope you got the “Silence of the Lambs” reference there)

So until the time where liver cancer becomes widely-publicized and glamorous, here is a yummy way I found to raise money for cancer research. These very nice people are cancer survivors and donate part of their profits to cancer research. And the cookies are delicious. I bought the citrus ginger snaps and loved them! Please check them out, and if you’re in the mood for the best ginger snaps you’ll ever taste, this is definitely the place to order from.

http://www.susansnaps.com/


And hey, does anyone want to design me a damn ribbon? :-)

3 comments:

Laura Leckband said...

I am voting for a lovely copper color, which would certainly look good with your hair. Design is set though - Everyone knows by now what that shape of ribbon means, so you may be limited by the excellent "brand recognition" already built! Perhaps a little charm could be added in a sort of a lozenge shape? Just a thought...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

The band "Warrant" told me that they vote for Cherry Pie Red. (nyuk nyuk)